Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Play

Scene: Kitchen
CASSIE
Dad, Can I get a hundred bucks?

DAD
For what?

CASSIE
I need new shoes.

DAD
Fine. My wallet is on the couch.

[DAD is fixing his tie. He is getting ready to go to work]

CASSIE
Actually I might need another 200 bucks. Me and my friends are going shopping
today right after we get out of school.

DAD
[giving CASSIE a weird look]

What do you need all that money for? Oh, and that reminds me you just bought
some new shoes last week. Not just new shoes but you bought a new purse, and new clothes. I even pay for your cell phone bills and give you gas money!

CASSIE
What? Am I suppose to go to the mall penniless?

DAD
You are one spoiled brat…

CASSIE
[gave DAD a sad face]

Please, Daddy? I know you love me. But don’t you want me to be happy?

DAD
[looks down at the kitchen floor]

Fine. Take 300 bucks from my wallet.

[DAD’S cell phone rings and he answers it immediately. Then he hangs.]

Cassie, I might not be here for dinner. Take another 20 bucks from my wallet and
go eat or tonight.

[CASSIE did as told. While her DAD quickly walks out the door. Then, DAD remembers he forgot to say “bye” to CASSIE and he quickly rushes back inside.]

DAD
Good bye, Honey.

CASSIE
[waves to DAD]

Bye! Have a great day, Dad!

DAD
[quickly rushes through his words]

Oh yeah, hand me my wallet. I can’t leave the house without it!

[CASSIE hands DAD his wallet and DAD quickly rushes out the door.]

Scene 2: Kitchen/Dining Room

[Both CASSIE and DAD are sitting on the dining table enjoying breakfast. DAD has his day off work and CASSIE doesn’t have school today.]

DAD
Cassie, I think we should spend some time together. I thought we should both go
fishing today.

CASSIE
[puts down her fork that she had in her hand]

Dad, I have plans today. I’m going out with my friends, okay? Maybe next time.

DAD
[looks disappointed]

But today’s a good day to go fishing! And, I don’t want the both of us to drift
apart. All we have is each other.

CASSIE
[slams her hands on the table]

I hate fishing, Dad! I wish mom was here. Why did she left us anyways?

DAD
[stood up from his seat]

I’ve done so much for you. I spent money on you all the time. I paid for your bills, I bought you your sweet ride sitting out on the driveway, and I let you do whatever you wanted. Just so that you can be happy. And you don’t want to spend time with your father? The one who raised you alone? I have never asked for anything from you.

[CASSIE stood up from her seat and quickly left the kitchen to go lock herself up in her room. While she laid on her bed, she picked up her phone and made a call to invite her friend over.]
Scene 3: CASSIE'S room

DAD
[knocking on CASSIE’s bedroom door]

Cassie, someone’s in the living room waiting for you. I think it’s Tina.

[CASSIE opens her door and walked out into the living room to greet her best friend, Tina.]

TINA
[stood right up from the couch where she sat]

Took you forever to get out of your room!

CASSIE
Sorry! Come on, let’s go into my room.

[They both walked into CASSIE’S room and sat on her bed, side by side.]

TINA
[stares at CASSIE for a while]

You don’t look happy. What’s up with you?

CASSIE
I just had an argument with my dad a while ago.

TINA
[TINA gives CASSIE a hug]

Aw, it’s okay. What did you guys argued about?

CASSIE
He wants me to go fishing with him. How stupid! I hate fishing! Especially with
him! All he talks about is his job. I can’t spend a day with him!

TINA
That’s all?! Cassie, you are bad! Why didn’t you just go fishing with him? Spend
some time with your father! He always seemed so busy. Look, it seems like he’s
trying to make things up to you since he’s been so busy with his job lately.
Actually if you think of it, he doesn’t even need to make it up to you! He spoils
you so much. You’re always wearing brand name clothing, carrying brand name
purses, you have a nice car, and you don’t even have to work for your money!
You are really one lucky girl. Maybe you should appreciate your dad for all the
things he has done for you.

[CASSIE thought about what TINA had just said. It was indeed true. Maybe her reaction to her dad earlier was a bit wrong.]

CASSIE
Oh, I guess you’re right. I was so rude to my dad just earlier! I feel really bad now!

TINA
[stood up from CASSIE’S bed]

Well, I have to go now. Do the right thing and go apologize to your dad. You two
seriously do need to spend some time together!

CASSIE
Alright then. Thanks for listening! I’ll send you off.
Scene 4: Living Room

[CASSIE spots DAD reading a newspaper on the couch. She walks up to him.]

CASSIE
Dad, I really need to talk to you.

DAD
What is it, honey?

CASSIE
[surprised that her dad didn’t even sound angry]

I’m sorry about my reaction earlier. You were right. You’ve done so many things
for me and I didn’t even thank you for it. I should be thankful I have a great dad
like you. So if you still want to, I really would like to go fishing with you.

DAD
It’s okay, honey. But if you really don’t like fishing, you don’t have to go. I won’t
make you go with me.

CASSIE
[talks in a disappointed voice]

Daddy, I really do want to go with you!

DAD
Great! We’ll have lots of fun then. Go and pack up your things while I pack
things into the car.

CASSIE
Alright!

[DAD and CASSIE walked out of the house and leaves the scene.]

No comments: